Abrasive Blasting Program (C7)
C7 is designed for contractor personnel who wish to obtain certification, or others who wish to learn about dry abrasive blast cleaning of steel. It covers principles of surface preparation, surface cleanliness, surface profile, dust and debris control, and abrasives. Please note: Students who do not want to receive the C7 Certification, but would still like to receive training, can attend and receive a certificate of attendance by only attending the lecture portion of the training and observing the blaster demonstration. There are no pre-requisites required for training-only.
Duration: 2 Days (16 Hours)
Includes: Written Exam & Hands-On Skill Assesment
Class Times: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Cost: Member - $795, NonMember - $995
Written Exam Retake Fee: Member - $100, NonMember - $200
Credits: 0.6 CEU's
Certification Term: 5 Years
How to Register
Contact the SSPC Training Coordinator:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext. 2204
To schedule a retake exam contact:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext. 2202
Providing Your Own Training?
If you intend to provide your own training in preparation for the SSPC C7 Certification Exam, you may click here for more information.
Scheduling and Proposals
To receive a proposal for scheduling at your facility, including price estimate, set-up requirements and an equipment list, please contact:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext 2221
Students wishing to achieve C7 Certification must pass a written exam and a hands-on assesment. Each student must also submit a pre-requisite form showing a minimum of 800 documented hours blasting in an industrial or marine environment prior to qualifying.
Certification Term & Renewal
All certified Abrasive Blasters must re-certify in the fifth year from their initial certification date.
- A craft-worker that is SSPC Coating Application Specialist (CAS Level II) Certified is considered to have met and exceeded the qualifications of an individual who is SSPC C7 or SSPC C12 Certified or both.
- Candidates may substitute their C7 hands on exam results for the CAS Level II hands on blaster exam, if they have achieved a score of 90% or greater.
- Principles of Surface Preparation
- Primary Components of an Abrasive Blasting System
- Nozzle Equipment Operations Hands-On Session
- Portable Centrifugal (Wheel) Blast Equipment Operations Hands-On Session
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Recognize the importance of surface preparation.
- Discuss the merits of dry compressed air abrasive and centrifugal shot blastcleaning as a surface preparation method.
- Create a surface profile to industry standards that define the level of achievable surface cleanliness.
The course starts out with a classroom overview of fundamentals in preparation for the written exam, which is then followed by a thorough review and walk-through of abrasive blasting and portable centrifugal blasting equipment setup and operation. Once the written exam is completed, a tailgate safety meeting is conducted to review safe gun operating procedures, including troubleshooting and signals, before the hands-on session takes place.
Following the equipment review, the instructors will observe each student as they describe setup procedures and demonstrate their blasting skills. This format provides candidates with prior blasting experience an opportunity to achieve blaster certification. This program is not intended for inexperienced blasters. Each candidate will receive a comprehensive manual that includes copies of useful handouts and industry blast cleaning standards. Those who successfully complete the blaster certification program will receive a certificate and wallet identification card from SSPC.
The written multiple-choice exam is worth a maximum of 100 points. The hands-on evaluation is also worth a maximum of 100 points. Candidates wishing to achieve the C7 Certification and CEU's must attend all 16 hours of the certification and pass the written exam with a score of 70% and the hands-on exam with a score of 90%.
Who Should Attend
- Contractors and facility owners
- Contractor personnel who wish to obtain certification
- Others who wish to learn about dry abrasive blast cleaning of steel
DoD Funded Training
Under the DoD Corrosion Prevention and Control Program, funding has been provided to train DoD, Army, Navy and Airforce personnel in SSPC’s C7 Course. For more information on how to take advantage of attending this course for free, please contact:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext 2221
Approved C7 Licensees
SSPC Training Courses are available through theSSPC licensed training providers.