Career Opportunities at SSPC
Director of Technical Services
SSPC is seeking a Director of Technical Services to work in our Pittsburgh Headquarters.
Primary and Essential Duties and Processes
- Contractor and Corporate Certification Program: Oversee Program administration, DAC Enforcement and Technical auditing of all SSPC Organizational Certification Programs (i.e., QP-1, QP-2, QP-3, QP-5, QP-7, QP-8, QP-9, QS-1,etc). Provide accurate and current program-related web site content. Supervise Program Manager and Senior Auditor.
- Standards Development: Establish and implement procedures for development and publishing of standards and other technical information (e.g. reports; best practice guides) through an AINSI approved consensus review process based on industry requests and Board of Governor (BOG) directives. Oversee all SSPC joint standards development activities with cooperating Standards Development Organizations.
- Certification Program Development: Direct development (and revision) of individual and organizational certification and accreditation programs in accordance with Standing and Advisory Committee Guidelines, Executive Director (ED) and BOG mandates.
- Publication Development: Direct development and publication of SSPC books and standards as directed by the ED and BOG.
- Regulatory Notification: Establish and implement plan to develop written materials (e.g issue notices; interpretations) to inform internal and external customers of regulations applicable to the protective coatings industry.
- Outreach to Customers and Industry: Work closely with Business Development Director to provide outreach in the form of technical workshops and presentations primarily to facility owners, engineering firms, contractors, material and equipment suppliers and others who utilize SSPC standards, training and certification programs. Participate in industry standards development organizations (e.g., ASTM, NACE, NSBA, etc) and other organizations that participate in the Protective Coatings industry (e.g., ACA, PDA)
- Training Development: Direct development of new SSPC training programs and materials as directed by the Education Committee and the ED. Identify and collaborate with industry experts, university resources, scientific and research communities to develop leading edge training programs and products. Direct revision of existing SSPC training and individual certification programs. Work closely with Director of Marketing to define marketing and promotion needs.
- Technical Projects: Direct activities required to administer technical contracts/agreements for government and privately sponsored projects as directed by the ED.
- Department Management: Manage the Technical Services Department including hiring, directing, scheduling and training staff; policies and procedures; staff management; budgets; interface with other department personnel, including Directors and Managers; provide support to ED and BOG as needed.
- Bachelors Degree in Science, Technology, Research field, Technology Management or related field; or 8-10 years closely related experience in technical project management and contract administration. SSPC or NACE PCS and/or NACE CIP or SSPC PCI Level 3 certification required.
- Plus a minimum of 3 years experience in personnel supervision.
- Skill and experience in budgeting; development of policies and procedures; employee and supervisory management; planning; project management; publishing; public speaking; business writing; time management; standards development.
- Computer Competence: word processing; spread sheets; internet use; Concur; TruQC, databases.
- Higher level of mental effort and high demands of time typical of management level position involving simultaneous management of multiple major projects; work with highly confidential and sensitive information and legal issues; direct supervisory responsibility over staff in highly technical, professional positions; diplomacy, discretion and integrity are imperative.
- Extensive travel (35-45%)
Core Compentencies to Ensure Success in the Position:
Multiple project and priorities capabilities; work with highly confidential and sensitive information; organization, documentation, tracking, expediting and coordination capability; work effectively with internal staff, professional providers and members; full spectrum of management skills for employees; attention to detail and accuracy is critical; conceptual, design, creative skills; interface with all departments and coordinate with Directors and the Executive Director; participative role in teams and task groups - communication, problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
Complementary Duties and Processes:
Chair, assist and/or serve as member on various teams, task groups and advisory groups in meetings and projects as needed, assigned or appointed. Attend trade shows, make formal presentations; present papers as needed, assigned or appointed.