SSPC Achieves ISO/IEC 17020 Accreditation
January 11, 2016
SSPC is pleased to announce that it has achieved accreditation from the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB) as a Type A Inspection Body according to the requirements of the ISO/IEC 17020:2012 standard, “Conformity assessment -- Requirements for the operation of various types of bodies performing inspection”.
Specifically recognized were the SSPC Painting Contractor Certification Program (PCCP) and the following standard procedures:
- QP 1 – Standard Procedure for Evaluating the Qualifications of Industrial/Marine Painting Contractors (Field Application to Complex Industrial Steel Structures and Other Metal Components)
- QP 2 – Standard for Evaluating Painting Contractors (Removal of Hazardous Coatings from Industrial/Marine Structures)
- QP 3 – Certification Standard for Shop Application of Complex Protective Coating Systems
- QP 5 – Standard Procedure for Evaluating the Qualifications of Coating and Lining Inspection Companies
- QP 6 – Standard Procedure for Evaluating the Qualifications of Contractors Who Apply Thermal Spray (Metallizing) for Corrosion Protection of Steel and Concrete Structures
- QP 7 – Procedure for Evaluating Coating Contractors With Limited Work Experience
- QP 8 – Standard Procedure for Evaluating the Qualifications of Contracting Firms that Install Polymer Coatings, Surfacings, Linings or FRP Composites on Concrete and Other Cementitious Substrates
- QP 9 – Standard Procedure for Evaluating the Qualifications of Commercial Painting and Coating Contractors
ISO/IEC 17020 incorporates same level of requirements for the organizational quality management systems as ISO 9001 and ISO/IEC 17000 series standards such as ISO/IEC 17021, Conformity assessment - Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems, and ISO/IEC 17065, Conformity assessment -- Requirements for bodies certifying products, processes and services. ISO/IEC 17020, however, puts greater emphasis on organizational ability to manage impartiality and conflicts of interest as well as the technical competence of people, inspection processes, and equipment.
Accredited inspection provides assurance of technically competent service and consistently reliable results, reducing costs and lowering risks. It is key in demonstrating that products, equipment, structures, and systems meet required specifications. Governments and industries around the world are increasingly requiring use of accredited inspection services.
ANAB accreditation to ISO/IEC 17020 allows an organization to demonstrate integrity, reliability, and technical competence as well as compliance internationally recognized good practices.
ANAB accreditation programs are based on the latest international requirements and are recognized by the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC). ANAB accredited customers demonstrate conformance to the requirements outlined in the current versions of ISO/IEC 17020 and ILAC P15, Application of ISO/IEC 17020:12 for the Accreditation of Inspection Bodies. ANAB accreditation enhances competitiveness and allows access to global markets regardless of where the inspection body is located.
ANAB management and technical staff assure high-quality service, integrity, independence, impartiality, confidentiality, and unmatched customer service.
For more information about this accreditation, please contact Joe Berish at email@example.com or 412.281.2331, ext. 2235.