SSPC QP 6
SSPC QP 6 – CONTRACTOR METALLIZING CERTIFICATION
Get a consultation to learn how you can earn the QP 6 certification.
SSPC QP6 Certification is to be used by facility owners or their protective coating specialists or specifying engineers to ensure that contractors hired to perform metallizing work to protect bridge, industrial or marine structures, or miscellaneous metal parts have the primary technical capabilities and organizational structure to do the work.
Purchase the QP 6 standard here.
The QP 6 program evaluates the qualifications of industrial thermal spray (metallizing) contractors by evaluating the contracting firm annually through an on-site field audit where an independent SSPC auditor observes whether the contractor has the capability to evaluate and accept the preparation of the surface to be metallized and to thermally spray:
- Coatings of aluminum, zinc, and their alloys for corrosion protection of steel and/or
- Zinc anodes on steel reinforced concrete, in accordance with the quality and safety requirements of SSPC QP 6
Contractors can achieve QP 6 certification for steel, concrete, or both.
Unless otherwise specified, SSPC QP 6 requires the contractor to be SSPC QP 1 certified for field surface preparation and coating application, or SSPC QP 3 certified for shop surface preparation and coating application, to supplement the requirements of this procedure.
Additional information can be found in the links in the box on the left side of this page:
- Applications for Certification / Program Rules
- Audit Checklist
- Auditor Evaluation Survey
- Contractor Performance Form
- Job Notification Form
- List of Owners Known to Require Certified Contractors
- Certification News Center
- Technical Standards Library Requirements