SSPC-AB 1 Qualification Program
SSPC QUALIFIED PRODUCT LIST FOR NON-METALLIC ABRASIVES MEETING REQUIREMENTS OF SSPC-AB 1
In response to requests from facility owner and abrasive supplier members, SSPC has developed an online Qualified Product List that will list non-metallic abrasives certified to meet the requirements of Section 4 of SSPC-AB 1 after verification by third-party testing. This list will enable specifiers and facility owners to quickly select suitable certified media for projects.
The list of certified media is accessible to the public from the SSPC website. Manufacturers of non-metallic abrasive media apply for SSPC certification by submitting a completed application form accompanied by copies of test results, safety data sheets, and completed quality attestation forms from third-party testing laboratories on the laboratory letterhead. SSPC may contact the laboratories to confirm that testing was performed. Laboratory tests must be performed in accordance with the requirements of SSPC-AB 1 and the standards referenced in it that are in effect at the time the application is submitted.
Listings on the SSPC QPL are valid for two-year periods from the date the certification letter is issued by SSPC. After the two-year period expires, the material must be retested to remain certified and be listed on the QPL.
Verification Testing: Certified abrasives have successfully met all SSPC-AB 1 testing criteria and have been verified by laboratory testing under controlled conditions to produce the Profile Grade for which they are certified, as shown below:
- Grade 1 - Abrasives that produce surface profiles of 0.5 to 1.5 mils (13 to 38 micrometers [μm]) when tested in accordance with Section 4.1.8.
- Grade 2 - Abrasives that produce surface profiles of 1.0 to 2.5 mils (25 to 64 μm) when tested in accordance with Section 4.1.8.
- Grade 3 - Abrasives that produce surface profiles of 2.0 to 3.5 mils (51 to 89 μm) when tested in accordance with Section 4.1.8.
- Grade 4 - Abrasives that produce surface profiles of 3.0 to 5.0 mils (75 to 127 μm) when tested in accordance with Section 4.1.8.
- Grade 5 - Abrasives that produce surface profiles of 4.0 to 6.0 mils (102 to 152 μm) when tested in accordance with Section 4.1.8.
SSPC reserves the right to obtain samples of unused qualified media for verification testing during the certification term. The sample may be obtained from the field by SSPC, by the contractor, or by the owner. The verification testing may include any or all the tests required by AB 1 at SSPC’s discretion.
If verification testing finds the material out of compliance, the manufacturer is notified, and has 2 to 3 days to supply replacement conforming product to the customer and to SSPC with laboratory test verification of conformance. The manufacturer shall be responsible for costs associated with testing required to confirm correction of nonconformities. The product shall be removed from QPL until test results confirm the product meets SSPC-AB 1 requirements.
For more information about participating in the AB 1 Program, please contact Aimee Beggs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-288-6042.
View the List of SSPC-AB 1 Qualified Products
(as of May 1, 2019)