Spray Application Certification (C12) Certification
Certification Term & Renewal
All certified Sprayers must re-certify in the fifth year from their initial certification date.
All Sprayers in the program will be notified by mail 6 months prior to expiration date of the certification. They must take their re-certification "open book" online exam before December 31st of the fifth year. Sprayers who do not successfully re-certify within that 12-month period will have to retake the SSPC classroom portion of the program or an SSPC-approved equivalent.
The re-certification process will include a brief "open book" exam, taken online, using electronic PDF files of the student manual provided online. Candidates must pass the exam with a minimum score of 85%.C12 Recertification Fees:
- $250.00 C12 Recertification Online at Member Rate
- $450.00 C12 Recertification Online at Non-Member Rate
- $450.00 C12 Recertification Exam Package (hard copy) mailed.
Sprayers are required to
- Complete and submit to SSPC, a Renewal Packet. Renewal letters are sent to the last known address 6 months prior to the recertification date. The letter includes return forms with information to process a renewal. To request a Renewal Packet please contact Silvia Palmieri at Palmieri@sspc.org or 877-281-7772 ext 2201.
- Download & Submit Forms:
- Certified C12 Sprayers must document a minimum of 1000 hours of documented experience Spraying in an industrial or marine environment. This documentation may be listed on the work experience form. Failure to document experience will result in that experience not counting towards maintenance of Certified status.
- Register and take the certification refresher exam before the expiration date of your certification. Once your renewal packet is received by SSPC, you will receive access to the online exam. The recertification exam is intended to be completed "open book" using electronic PDF files of the units found in the student manual which will be provided online.
Each Sprayer will receive a new identification card with photograph upon successful completion of the re-certification process. Your C12 Certification will then be extended a new 5 year term.
- Candidate is responsible for sending SSPC updated address and contact information.
- If you do not submit your renewal certifcation forms by certification expiration date, the certification expires and then must re-take the C12 Course and Certification Exam to become certified again.
- Photo: preferred to be sent via email, as a jpg file, to email@example.com. Do not fax the photo.
Failure to be truthful on the certification application or work experience form or failure to attend the entire qualification session or cooperate with the instructor during the qualification session are grounds for denial of certification.
Standards of Professional Practice
To maintain the high standard of skills and practice in the protective coatings industry, persons certified under the C12 Program are required to:
- avoid involvement in any dishonest venture
- act in all ways with complete integrity in professional matters
- consistently perform quality work, in a safe manner, in accordance with their level of competency, training and experience and customer requirements.
Documented infractions of professional conduct may result in suspension or revocation of certification.
Disciplinary actions may include issuance of a reprimand, suspension, or revocation of certification for up to one year. Recommendations for disciplinary actions are initiated by the SSPC program administrator, followed by concurrence by a majority of the SSPC Education committee or designated oversight body.
Decertified individuals are no longer permitted to use the title of C12 certified Sprayers or their certification ID number. This includes, but is not limited to: business cards, letterhead, correspondence, resumes, employment applications, etc.
The formerly certified individual's name and information will be removed from the SSPC web site where SSPC will maintain a list of certified individuals. A de-certified individual is not eligible for any benefit of the certification, present or future.