Abrasive Blasting Program (C7)
Duration: 2 Days (16 Hours)
Includes: Written Exam & Hands-On Skill Assesment
Class Times: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Cost: Member - $820, NonMember - $1,020
Written Exam Retake Fee: Member - $100, NonMember - $200
Credits: 0.75 CEU's
Certification Term: 5 Years
How to Register
Click here to find a course & register online
Contact the SSPC Training Coordinator:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext. 2232
To schedule a retake exam contact:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext. 2215
Providing Your Own Training?
If you intend to provide your own training in preparation for the SSPC C7 Certification Exam, you may click here for more information.
Scheduling and Proposals
To receive a proposal for scheduling at your facility, including price estimate, set-up requirements and an equipment list, please contact:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext 2221
Students wishing to achieve C7 Certification must pass a written exam and a hands-on assesment. Each student must also submit a pre-requisite form showing a minimum of 800 documented hours blasting in an industrial or marine environment prior to qualifying.
Certification Term & Renewal
All certified Abrasive Blasters must re-certify in the fifth year from their initial certification date.
Click here to learn more about the re-certification process.
- A craft-worker that is SSPC Coating Application Specialist (CAS Level II) Certified is considered to have met and exceeded the qualifications of an individual who is SSPC C7 or SSPC C12 Certified or both.
- Candidates may substitute their C7 hands on exam results for the CAS Level II hands on blaster exam, if they have achieved a score of 90% or greater.
SSPC CAS to C7 / C12 EQUIVALENCY
- SSPC offers the option to obtain a C7 / C12 equivalent certificate for members holding an active Level 2 CAS. These certificates can be helpful for projects requiring or specifying C7 or C12 certifications of employees. The equivalency certificates are issued in a project specific manner, for example if an employee has an active CAS and is on a job running from 12/31/16 until 6/25/17 he is able to submit this information to SSPC who can grant him a certificate for this timeframe. At the end of the job date 6/25/17 the certificate expires and must be renewed if the project is not finished.
- The purpose of this equivalency certificate is to allow workers with CAS certification to show their competence in areas covered in the C7 and C12 course on a short-term basis while not requiring the C7 or C12 course itself.
- To request the form to apply please contact:
- Nathan Wyman
- Phone: (877) 281–7772 ext 2234
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
C7 is designed for contractor personnel who wish to obtain certification, or others who wish to learn about blast cleaning of steel and nonferrous surfaces. It covers principles of surface preparation, surface cleanliness, surface profile, dust and debris control, and abrasives. Please note: Students who do not want to receive the C7 Certification, but would still like to receive training, can attend and receive a certificate of attendance by only attending the lecture portion of the training and observing the blaster demonstration. There are no pre-requisites required for training-only.
- Principles of Surface Preparation
- Nozzle Abrasive Blast Cleaning Systems (with Hands-On Session)
- Portable Centrifugal (Wheel) Abrasive Blast Cleaning Systems (with Hands-On Session)
- Abrasive Blast Cleaning Nonferrous Substrates
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Recognize the basic principles of surface preparation
- Identify proper blast cleaning equipment setup and abrasives used
- Demonstrate proper blast cleaning technique to achieve certification
The course starts out with a classroom overview of fundamentals in preparation for the written exam, which is then followed by a thorough review and walk-through of abrasive blasting and portable centrifugal blasting equipment setup and operation. Once the written exam is completed, a tailgate safety meeting is conducted to review safe gun operating procedures, including troubleshooting and signals, before the hands-on session takes place.
Following the equipment review, the instructors will observe each student as they describe setup procedures and demonstrate their blasting skills. This format provides candidates with prior blasting experience an opportunity to achieve blaster certification. This program is not intended for inexperienced blasters. Each candidate will receive a comprehensive manual that includes copies of useful handouts and industry blast cleaning standards. Those who successfully complete the blaster certification program will receive a certificate and wallet identification card from SSPC.
The written multiple-choice exam is worth a maximum of 100 points. The hands-on evaluation is also worth a maximum of 100 points. Candidates wishing to achieve the C7 Certification and CEUs must attend all 16 hours of the certification and pass the written exam with a score of 70% and the hands-on exam with a score of 90%.
Who Should Attend
- Contractors and facility owners
- Contractor personnel who wish to obtain certification
- Others who wish to learn about dry abrasive blast cleaning of steel
DoD Funded Training
Under the DoD Corrosion Prevention and Control Program, funding has been provided to train DoD, Army, Navy, Airforce and Coast Guard personnel in SSPC’s C7 Course. For more information on how to take advantage of attending this course for free, please contact:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext 2221
Click here to learn more about the agencies that recognize SSPC training and certification.
Approved C7 Licensees
SSPC Training Courses are available through the following SSPC licensed training providers.