Prerequisites for Abrasive Blasting (C7)
Experience Requirements for the C7 - Dry Abrasive Blaster Certification Program:
- Students wishing to achieve the C7 Certification must pass the written and hands-on exams.
- Each student must also obtain written confirmation from his or her employer's human resource manager that the student has done a minimum of 800 documented hours experience blasting in an industrial or marine environment prior to qualifying for the C7 Certification.
- The written multiple-choice exam is worth a maximum of 100 points. The hands-on evaluation is also worth a maximum of 100 points. Candidates wishing to achieve the C7 Certification and CEUs must attend all 16 hours of the certification and pass the written exam with a score of 70% and the hands-on exam with a score of 90%.
The following items must be submitted to SSPC no later than two weeks before the scheduled course:
SSPC Training Coordinator
800 Trumbull Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15205-4365
Phone: 412-281-2331 x2204
Please note: In order to be eligible for C7 Certification Program, the pre-requisite form must be completed and signed by your HR Manager and given to SSPC two weeks prior to the course start date. Failure to fill out the form truthfully, or any instance of providing inaccurate information, will result in immediate denial or revocation of the C7 Certification. Failure to cooperate with the program instructors, or properly prepare for the hands-on Certification session, will also be grounds for denial of Certification.
What happens to students that do not meet the prerequisites?
- Students without the 800 hours of blasting experience is allowed to take the C7 Training and exams.
- The student would be sent a letter after the training stating that you took 16 hours of training.
- If the student passed the C7 test, they would be allowed to submit a new experience form in the future (i.e., after they get the required hours of experience). This new experience form must be submitted within 1 year of the class date.
- Once we receive this letter they would then take a C7 online written exam. If they pass the exam with an 85% they would then be issued a wallet card from the date your exam was graded. The fee to take the exam is $250 for SSPC Members and $350 for nonmembers.
- Before the student has the C7 Certification, the student would not be considered a certified blaster, but would be allowed to work under supervision of an individual with a C7 certification to gain the required experience.
- If the student takes the C7 Training and fails the exam, they would have to re-take the class.