Marine Coatings e-Course
Duration: 40 hours over a 20-Week Semester, Includes Course Exam
Class Times: N/A
Cost: Member $845, Non-Member $1045, Flex Points 15
Credits: 3.8 CEUs
Certification Terms: N/A
Written Exam Retake Fee: $100 member; $200 non-member
To contact SSPC or to schedule a retake exam, please click here.
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
The Marine Coatings eCourse is a fundamental training program that covers the practical aspects of the selection, specification and use of coatings in a safe, effective, and economical manner to protect structures in harsh marine environments.
- Introduction to Marine Coatings
- Marine Basics
- Marine Corrosion
- Condition Assessment
- Marine Coatings
- Surface Preparation
- Coating Application
- Coating Systems
- Offshore Structures
- Job Specifications
- Quality Management
- Inspection and Documentation
- Coating Failures
- Ocean Vessels (Blue/Deep Water)
- Inland Vessels (Coastal, Brown Water, Shallow Draft)
- Offshore Structures
- Coastal Marine Structures
Other Areas Covered
- New Construction Painting
- Maintenance Painting
- Dry Docking
- Crew Maintenance
- Ride-Along Painting Crews
- The use of world-wide standards in the marine industry
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the nature of corrosion in the marine environment
- Describe the world-wide standards and organizations pertinent to marine coatings
- Identify the coating materials used in marine environments
- Employ proper coating application practices to protect marine structures
Each participant will receive use ID and Password to gain access to a comprehensive manual that includes a glossary of terms, references for additional reading, and copies of relevant handouts, standards, and regulations.
The written exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. To receive a certificate and CEUs, you must attain a 70% or better score on the exam.
Who Should Attend
Contractors, engineers, inspectors, consultants, facility owners, technical services and sales reps.
Students can now take the exam online as soon as they finish completing the units and quizzes. The exam is corrected automatically and you will know your results right away.
Benefits to the eCourse
- Related links and featured areas of SSPC web sites are provided
- Online glossaries
- Students may email other students participating in their course through the Education Director Message system
- Students can book mark specific sections of the course to the Education Director Notebook feature and use this as they study
General eCourse Information
SSPC eCourses are perfect for those students who are unable to attend a regular public offering. This e-learning course features the same units that are used in the on-site classes. Each unit has been converted into a series of web pages that students can access whenever it is convenient to them. After completing each quiz, students receive instant feedback to aid in the learning process. Workshops are designed to enhance the learning experience.
How Often are the eCourses Offered?
SSPC eCourses start on the 15th of each month throughout the year. Each semester is 20 weeks (5 months). Students can work at their own pace over the 20-week period to complete the units, workshops, and quizzes. The final exam is also completed online.
- Contact Dee Boyle at email@example.com or 412.281.2331, ext. 2202 to register by phone or email
Click here for accreditation Information