FIREPROOFING APPLICATOR COURSE (FIRE APP)
Duration: 2 Days (16 Hours)
Includes: Written Exam
Class Times: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Credits: 1.5 CEUs
Certification Term: n/a
Prerequistes: No; but SSPC C12 or SSPC CAS is recommended
NEW Coming Soon!
This course is currently in development. It is planned for release in 2019. Please check back in this page and SSPC Social Media for updates.
This course is designed to provide basic, non-product specific, training to industrial painters on the fundamentals of applying intumescent coatings, when specified, for the purpose of passive fire protection.
- Introduction to what Passive fire protection is
- The critical importance of passive fire protection
- How intumescent coatings provide passive fire protection
- Surface Preparation
- Mock ups
- Prime and Top Coats
- Thin film intumescent coating systems
- Thick film intumescent systems
- Application methods & proper technique
- Environmental Conditions
- Recoat Windows
- Application equipment options
- Staging of equipment
- Product Data Sheets (PDS) and Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- Industry Fire Protection Standards
- Quality Control Basics an applicator should know (e.g., WFT and DFT; environmental conditions, Tech Manual 12B)
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the basics and the importance of passive fire protection
- Learn how intumescent coatings provide fire resistance
- Learn the different types of intumescent coatings and their function
- Learn basic surface preparation and application methods
- Learn about equipment used to apply intumescent materials
- Learn about applicable fire protection standards
- Learn about basic quality control
Each participant will receive a comprehensive training manual that includes a glossary of terms, references for additional reading and photos and illustrations of application methods and practices. The two days of instruction are devoted to classroom lecture, quizzes and classroom workshops. Day two of the course features a hands-on workshop in fireproofing application. At the end of the second day of instruction, the instructor will administer a closed-book written exam consisting of 50-75 multiple choice questions on the body of knowledge presented during classroom lectures. In addition to completing all of the course modules, a passing grade of 70% or higher is needed on the final exam to receive a certificate of completion.
Who Should Attend
SSPC C-12 OR SSPC CAS certified industrial painters or those with 3-5 years’ experience spray applying liquid protective coatings.
Click here to learn more about the agencies that recognize SSPC training and certification.