FLOOR COATING BASICS (C10)
Duration: 2 Days / 16 Hours
Includes: Written Exam
Class Times: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Cost: Member - $650, NonMember - $820
Credits: 1.5 CEUs
Certification Term: n/a
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
This course is designed to meet the practical training requirements of SSPC-QP 8 Section 4.4, which require that each job crew chief and each QC manager complete a minimum two-day overview of concrete components, coating and surfacing types, and surface preparation and substrate repair techniques based on SSPC consensus standards TU-10, “Procedures for Applying Thick Film Coatings and Surfacings Over Concrete Floors.”
- Concrete Composition
- Coating and Surfacing Concrete
- Condition Assessment
- Planning and Documenting Work
- Concrete Repair and Surface Preparation
- Treatment of Concrete Joints
- Readiness Prior to Installation
- General Installation Guidelines
- Concrete Sealers
- Concrete Primers
- Spray Application
- Installation of Self-Leveling Systems
- Installation of Slurry Coats
- Installation of Broadcast Flooring Systems
- Troweled Polymer Flooring Systems
- Incorporating Reinforcement into Coatings and Surfacings
- Post-Installation Quality Assurance
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the basic properties of concrete.
- Identify the procedures involved in inspecting, documenting, and preparing for an installation.
- Detect substrate defects that must be repaired before coating/surfacing.
- Employ surface preparation techniques based upon the requirements of the system to be installed.
- Describe how to apply/install coatings/surfacings to concrete floors.
- Evaluate contractor quality control of work.
Each participant will receive a comprehensive manual that includes a glossary of terms, references for additional reading, and copies of relevant handouts, standards, and regulations. Day one is devoted to a brief overview of the basic properties of concrete, condition assessment, planning, surface repair, and joint treatment. Sealers, primers, topcoats and application procedures and post-job quality control are covered during day two. The unit material is reinforced by five quizzes prior to the 50-question multiple choice final exam. The course also features six interactive exercises addressing ambient conditions, use of technical and material safety data sheets, selecting coating systems, adhesion, and calculating thickness and volumes. A project planning exercise assists students in applying lecture topics to a job scenario. To receive a certificate and CEU’s you must attend all 16 hours of the course and attain a 70% or better score on the exam.
Who Should Attend
Concrete contractor coating and surfacing managers and related personnel.
DoD Funded Training
Under the DoD Corrosion Prevention and Control Program, funding has been provided to train DoD, Army, Navy, Airforce and Coast Guard personnel in SSPC's C10 Course. For more information on how to take advantage of attending this course for free, click here.
What’s a good course to take after you have completed the Floor Coatings Basics?
Check out the: Concrete Coating Inspector Program
Click here to learn more about the agencies that recognize SSPC training and certification.