FUNDAMENTALS OF PROTECTIVE COATINGS (C1)
Duration: 5 Days / 40 Hours
Includes: Written Exam
Class Times: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Cost: Member - $1,020, NonMember - $1,220
Credits: 3.8 CEUs
Certification Term: n/a
SSPC C1 Online
The Fundamentals of Protective Coatings (C1) eCourse is available throughout the year. Each semester is 16 weeks and allows students to work at their own pace over the 16 week period to complete the units, workshops, and quizzes. The final exam is also completed online.
How to Register for the C1 Course Exam Only (1 day):
SSPC Member $250/Non-Member $450
Click here to register for the C1 Course Exam ONLY
How to Register for the Full C1 Course:
Click here to find a course & register online
This course provides a practical and comprehensive overview for those who are new to the protective coatings industry. It is also an ideal refresher for reviewing the fundamentals of corrosion and the use of coatings as a protective mechanism against corrosion and deterioration of industrial structures.
- Corrosion and Corrosion Control
- Coating Types and Their Mechanisms and Protection
- Surface Preparation for Painting
- Application of Coatings
- Inspection and Quality Control
- Coatings for Steel Structures
- Coating Degradation, Defects, and Failures
- Coating of Concrete Surfaces
- Safety in Painting Operations
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Identify types of corrosion and select coatings that meet project demands.
- Recognize the different types of coatings available and the various mechanisms at work in the process of protection.
- Discuss how proper surface preparation is critical to achieving the maximum level of protection available through protective coating systems.
- Describe the inspection equipment and methods used to ensure that all specification requirements are met.
- Classify coating selection and application by facility and service environment.
- List the factors that accelerate coating deterioration and the techniques used to avoid common defects.
- Distinguish the unique selection and application problems with coating concrete surfaces.
- Recognize the safety hazards involved in coating operations and the responsibilities of management and workers in safety training and practices.
Each participant will receive a comprehensive manual that includes a glossary of terms, references for additional reading, and copies of relevant handouts, standards, and regulations.
The written exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. To receive a certificate and CEUs, you must attend all 40 hours of the course and attain a 70% or better score on the exam.
C1 fulfills part of your training requirement for SSPC Protective Coatings Specialist (PCS) Certification. All students interested in pursuing PCS Certification, having less than 15 years coatings experience, must take the C1 Exam and the C2 Course prior to applying to sit for PCS exam. Individuals who are unfamiliar with the fundamentals of coatings technology should consider taking C1 prior to C2.
Who Should Attend
Contractors, engineers, inspectors, consultants, facility owners, technical services and sales reps.
DoD Funded Training
Under the DoD Corrosion Prevention and Control Program, funding has been provided to train DoD, Army, Navy, Airforce and Coast Guard personnel in SSPC's C1 Course. For more information on how to take advantage of attending this course for free, click here.
Click here to learn more about the agencies that recognize SSPC training and certification.