GROUND VEHICLE CORROSION/PROTECTIVE COATINGS COURSE (GROUND VEH)
Duration: 5 Days (40 Hours)
Includes: Written Exam
Class Times: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Cost: Member - $1,095, NonMember - $1,295
Credits: 3.8 CEUs
Certification Term: n/a
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
The course provides a practical and comprehensive overview for those who are new to and experienced in the protective coatings industry. It is also an ideal refresher for reviewing the fundamentals of corrosion and the use of coatings as a protective mechanism against corrosion and the deterioration of industrial structures commonly used and maintained at the various Army Depots.
- Coating Types and Their Mechanisms of Protection
- Surface Preparation Prior to Coating Application
- Inspection and Quality Control
- Coating Degradation, Defects, and Failures
- Coating of Steel and Concrete Surfaces
- Coating Application Basics
- Determining the Extent of Curing
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Identify different types of corrosion and select coatings that meet project requirements.
- Discuss different coating systems used and their mechanisms of protection.
- Discuss the importance of surface preparation and identify common surface preparation methods of steel and concrete substrates.
- Discuss basic coating application methods and materials.
- Recognize the factors that accelerate coating deterioration and the techniques used to avoid common defects.
- Identify concrete coating selection criteria and application problems that can occur when coating concrete surfaces.
- Identify how to use the NSTM Chapter 631 Tables.
This course contains two levels of training. Level 1 contains core content modules, workshops, and quizzes. At the end of the level 1 curriculum, a 25-question multiple choice final examination is given. In addition to completing all of the course modules, a passing grade of 70% or higher is needed on the final exam to receive a certificate of completion, obtain CEU’s and move on to the Level 2 training.
Level 2 contains core content modules, workshops, and quizzes. A handson surface preparation workshop will also take place in the course that covers Hand and Power Tool Cleaning to SSPC-SP 2, SSPC-SP 3, SSPC-SP 11, and SSPC-SP 15. At the end of the Level 2 curriculum, a 25-question multiple choice final examination is given. In addition to completing all of the course modules, a passing grade of 70% or higher is needed on the final exam to receive a certificate of completion.
Who Should Attend
Depot personnel who are responsible for maintaining equipment, vehicles, and industrial structures through the use of protective coatings and/or participants in the Depot’s Corrosion Control Program. Good candidates to attend are owners and contractors or their staff members responsible for job estimating.
DoD Funded Training
Under the DoD Corrosion Prevention and Control Program, funding has been provided to train DoD, Army, Navy, and Air Force personnel in this course. For more information on how to take advantage of attending this course for free, click here.
Click here to learn more about the agencies that recognize SSPC training and certification.