Supervisor/Competent Person Training for Deleading/Hazardous Coatings Removal on Industrial and Marine Structures (C3)
Duration: 4 Days / 32 Hours, Includes Course Exam
Class Times: 8:00 - 5:00
Cost: Member $995, Non-Member $1,195
Credits: 3.0 CEUs
Certification Terms: N/A
Written Exam Retake Fee: $100 member; $200 non-member
To contact SSPC or to schedule a retake exam, please click here.
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
Licensee Courses: Click here to view the licensee course schedule. (NOTE: Licensees must be contacted directly to participate in one of their courses.)
The SSPC C-5 refresher class is required to be completed:
- Annually for those people working with companies that are SSPC QP-2 certified, or on projects where the SSPC QP-2 certification is required or;
- SSPC recommends every two years for all others unless regulatory or contract requirements are more stringent.
Note: Check with the Department of Environment with your state for their specific requirements. Most states require a C5 refresher every two years.
Note: Virginia Department of Environment is every 3 years.
The SSPC reserves the right to allow a 90 day grace period after the 1 or 2 year time frame to allow students time to attend a refresher class.
C3 contains specific discussions on protecting workers, compliance with environmental regulations, proper management of waste streams and operations that result in potential exposures to lead and other hazards, and associated control technology. It includes background information on the hazards of lead and other toxic metals as well as a review of the current legal and regulatory issues. The course also addresses developing programs to effectively control risks to workers, the public, and the environment.
- Hazardous Coatings and Materials in Industrial Painting
- Legal and Liability Issues
- Health Effects of Hazardous Coatings & Materials
- Identification of Hazardous Coatings/Hazardous Materials
- Air, Soil, Water/Sediment, and Dust Regulations and Monitoring Strategies
- Worker Protection from Hazardous Coatings/Materials
- Respiratory Protection and PPE
- Management of Solid and Hazardous Wastes
- Sources of Hazardous Coatings Exposure
- Control of Environmental Releases (Containment and Ventilation)
- Specifications, Submittals, and Site-Specific Compliance Programs
- Pre-Planning and Worksite Preparation
- In-Process and Post-Competent Person (CP) Responsibilities/Demobilization
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Identify sources of hazardous coatings and materials and the relative risks posed by industrial painting activities
- Describe the potential effects of hazardous coatings/materials
- Implement controls and work practices necessary to protect the public, environment, and workers during industrial hazardous coating removal activities
- Apply procedures to measure and verify the continued adequacy of control options
Each participant will receive a comprehensive manual that includes references for additional reading and copies of relevant handouts. Hands-on workshops following most of the units reinforce the key points and give students the opportunity to test their knowledge. Quizzes help the students prepare for the 100-question multiple-choice examination administered at the end of the course.
To receive a certificate and CEUs, you must attend all 32 hours of the course and attain a 70% or better score on the exam.
Who Should Attend
Contractors and Competent Persons; Engineers, EHS, and Other Consultants; Specifying or Project Managers.
For Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey and Virginia state supplements are available with this course for an additional charge of $25 per state.
For information on State Supplements contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
QP 2 Requirements
This SSPC course meets the requirements of state programs that require refresher training to maintain supervisor certification and meets SSPC QP-2 requirements for competent person training certification.
Worker Training for Lead Paint Abatement and Removal from Steel Structures Manual
SSPC has produced a Lead Paint Worker Safety course designed for contractors to train their workers to meet OSHA requirements for annual worker training.
Click here for Accreditation Information
Click here for Licensee Information & C3 Schedule