Prerequisities for Navsea Basic Paint Inspector (NBPI)
Prior to attending the NBPI course, you must provide information showing that you meet the minimum requirements. If SSPC is unable to verify the accuracy of any information reported, it may result in the rejection of your application.
In order to qualify to take the NBPI, you must document a minimum of 2 years experience working on a Navy, Coast Guard or similar vessel
Work experience must be in one of the following areas:
- Inspection of Coating Application on Navy, Coast Guard or similar vessels
- Repairs, Surface Preparation and Application of marine coatings on Navy, Coast Guard or similar vessels
- Project Management of Coatings Projects on Navy, Coast Guard or similar vessels
- Coating Specification and/or Contract Development on Navy, Coast Guard or similar vessels
- Coating Equipment and Material Supplier Technical Representative on Navy, Coast Guard or similar vessels
- Failure Analysis of Coating on Navy, Coast Guard or similar vessels
The following item must be submitted to SSPC no later than two weeks before the scheduled course:
SSPC Training Coordinator
800 Trumbull Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15205-4365
Phone: 412-281-2331 x2204
Download and retain the following form for your records:
What happens to students that do not meet the prerequisites?
- Students without the 2 years of experience are allowed to take the NBPI Training and exams.
- The student would be sent a letter after the training stating that they took 40 hours of training.
- If the student without the experience passed the NBPI test, they would be allowed to submit a letter with attestations of experience in the future (i.e., after they get the required years of experience).
- For example, a person taking the class with 18 months of experience would be allowed to submit a letter with the required references after he/she completes six months of additional experience. The letter would attest to the fact that the individual completed his/her experience requirements passed the test and as such should be certified.
- Once we receive this letter the student will then take an open book NBPI exam online. If they pass the exam with an 85% they would then be issued a wallet card from the date the open book exam was graded. The fee to take the exam is $250 for SSPC Members and $350 for nonmembers.
- Before a student has the full NBPI Certification, if they simply completed the training they would not be allowed to certify critical-coated-area work, but would be allow to work under supervision of an individual with full NBPI certification to gain the required experience.
- If a student takes the NBPI Training and fails the exam they would have to re-take the class.