NAVSEA Basic Paint Inspector (NBPI) Certification Term and Renewal
In order to assure that inspectors are keeping abreast of new regulations and technology, inspectors will have to take an open book refresher exam online. The exam will be based on information updates that have been posted on the NBPI website. All recertification candidates must take the refresher exam online and pass with an 85%.
NBPI Certified Inspector status may be maintained for a period of four years.
Inspectors are required to
- Complete and submit to SSPC a Renewal Packet every four years from their certification date. Renewal letters are mailed to the last known address 6 months prior to the recertification date. The letter includes recert forms with information to process a renewal.
- Download & Submit Forms:
- Recert Application - to email (or Apply Online)
- Work Experience Form
- Periodically visit the NBPI website to review the regulations and technology updates that are posted,
- Register and take the certification refresher exam before the expiration date of your certification. See note 1.
Note: Once your renewal packet is received by SSPC, you will receive a User ID and Password via email. You will use this information to access and take the online exam. The recertification exam is intended to be completed "open book" using electronic PDF files of the units found in the student manual provided online when you access the exam website.
NBPI Recertification Fees:
- $250.00 NBPI Recertification Online at Member Rate
- $450.00 NBPI Recertification Online at Non-Member Rate
- $450.00 NBPI Recertification Exam Package (hard copy) mailed
- Candidate is responsible for sending SSPC updated address information.
- If we get no response to the initial renewal letter sent out, a final notice is sent 3 months later.
- If we still get no response by their certification expiration date, these individuals’ certifications expire and they must re-take the NBPI Course and Certification Exam to become certified again.
- If mail is returned as undeliverable, the NBPI candidates record is coded with a bad address. These addresses are then sent to the Navy for verification and possible update.
Disciplinary Action Criteria
Click here to download the Disciplinary Action Criteria.
This procedure defines the process for disciplining inspectors for infractions incurred under the NAVSEA Coating Inspector's Disciplinary Action Criteria. This procedure is used by the certifying agency (NAVSEA) when an infraction is suspected. It is also used by inspectors to respond to and appeal disciplinary actions assessed by the certifying agency (NAVSEA).
The procedure includes the following topics:
- Definitions of infractions and disciplinary actions
- Steps in the process