Protective Coatings Inspector Program (PCI) Level 3
Level 3 Certification Exam Only:
Duration: Half Day, 4 Hours (Includes certification exam)
Class Times: Sat: 8:00 - Noon
Cost: SSPC Member $500/Non-Member $700
Certification Term: 4 Years
Prerequisites: Yes. Click here for prerequisites
Written Exam Retake Fee: $100 member; $200 non-member
To contact SSPC or to schedule a retake exam, please click here.
PCI Program Levels
How to Register:
Register for the Level 3 Exam Only
Click here to find a course & register online for Level 1, 2, 3
Click here for prerequisites for the PCI Program.
PCI Certification Term and Renewal
Click Here for the PCI Level 3 Certification Term and Renewal
About the PCI Level 3 Certification Program
The Protective Coatings Inspector Level 3 Certification Program identifies and awards recognition to individuals who have in-depth knowledge in the principles and practices of inspection of industrial coatings. The PCI Level 3 Certification attests to the professional credibility of the coatings inspector and raises the standard of inspection in the protective coatings industry.
PCI Level 3 Certification demonstrates mastery in:
- Recognizing the common duties, responsibilities, and the role of an industrial coatings inspector
- Recognizing the role of the coating manufacturer on a coatings project
- Describing the authority of a coatings inspector
- Explaining the importance of thorough documentation
- Identifying the differences between quality assurance and quality control and the common duties of quality assurance and quality control personnel
- Describing the purpose and content of a pre-job or preconstruction conference
- Explaining the importance of ethics of inspection personnel
- Describing methods used to evaluate coating performance prior to full-scale installation
- Describing the unique aspects of performing coatings inspection on an overcoating project, and on projects employing thermal spray coatings, powder coatings and duplex coating systems
- Describing how coatings inspection can help prevent premature coating failure
- Listing potential safety hazards associated with coatings inspection
- Preparing an inspection plan/procedure
- Performing coatings inspection on industrial projects
- Comparing inspection results to specification requirements
Students passing the PCI Level 2 Exams at 80% or higher and meeting the prerequisites for PCI Level 3 Certification can take the PCI Level 3 certification exams on Day 7. A passing grade of 80% or higher on the written PCI Level 3 certification exam is required to become an SSPC PCI Level 3 Certified Coating Inspector.
The PCI Level 3 exam consists of:
Each candidate selects five essay questions to answer. Each essay is worth 20 points.