Protective Coatings Inspector Program (PCI) Level 3
Level 3 Certification Exam Only:
Duration: Half Day, 4 Hours (Includes certification exam)
Class Times: Sat: 8:00 - Noon
Cost: SSPC Member $500/Non-Member $700
Certification Term: 4 Years
Prerequisites: Yes. Click here for prerequisites
Written Exam Retake Fee: $100 member; $200 non-member
Contact Kelly Oakes to schedule
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext. 2215
PCI Program Levels
How to Register:
Register for the Level 3 Exam Only
Click here to find a course & register online for Level 1, 2, 3
Click here for prerequisites for the PCI Program.
PCI Certification Term and Renewal
Click Here for the PCI Level 3 Certification Term and Renewal
About the PCI Level 3 Certification Program
The Protective Coatings Inspector Level 3 Certification Program identifies and awards recognition to individuals who have in-depth knowledge in the principles and practices of inspection of industrial coatings. The PCI Level 3 Certification attests to the professional credibility of the coatings inspector and raises the standard of inspection in the protective coatings industry.
PCI Level 3 Certification demonstrates mastery in:
- Recognizing the common duties, responsibilities, and the role of an industrial coatings inspector
- Recognizing the role of the coating manufacturer on a coatings project
- Describing the authority of a coatings inspector
- Explaining the importance of thorough documentation
- Identifying the differences between quality assurance and quality control and the common duties of quality assurance and quality control personnel
- Describing the purpose and content of a pre-job or preconstruction conference
- Explaining the importance of ethics of inspection personnel
- Describing methods used to evaluate coating performance prior to full-scale installation
- Describing the unique aspects of performing coatings inspection on an overcoating project, and on projects employing thermal spray coatings, powder coatings and duplex coating systems
- Describing how coatings inspection can help prevent premature coating failure
- Listing potential safety hazards associated with coatings inspection
- Preparing an inspection plan/procedure
- Performing coatings inspection on industrial projects
- Comparing inspection results to specification requirements
Students passing the PCI Level 2 Exams at 80% or higher and meeting the prerequisites for PCI Level 3 Certification can take the PCI Level 3 certification exams on Day 7. A passing grade of 80% or higher on the written PCI Level 3 certification exam is required to become an SSPC PCI Level 3 Certified Coating Inspector.
The PCI Level 3 exam consists of four parts.
There will be three envelopes for candidates to choose from, labeled #1, #2 and #3. Candidates will have three hours to complete the exam.
Each candidate selects two scenario questions to answer. The scenario questions are all essay questions. Each Essay is worth 30 points.
The second part of the exam consists of 10 questions on coating theory requiring short written answers. Each of these questions is worth 1 point.
The third part of the exam consists of 10 questions on industry related standard questions requiring short written answers. Each of these questions is worth 1 point.
The forth part of the exam consists of creating an inspection plan based on a coating specification. This part is worth 20 points.