Planning and Specifying Industrial Coatings Projects (C2)
Duration: 5 Days / 40 Hours, Includes Course Exam
Class Times: 8:00 - 5:00
Cost: Member $1,020, Non-Member $1,220
Credits: 3.9 CEUs
Certification Terms: N/A
Course Exam Only (1 day)
SSPC Member $250/Non-Member $450
Click here to REGISTER for COURSE EXAM ONLY
Written Exam Retake Fee: $100 member; $200 non-member
To contact SSPC or to schedule a retake exam, please click here.
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
This course is designed to provide those who understand coating fundamentals with an overview of the principles of planning, awarding, and monitoring the quality of new construction or maintenance painting projects. After completing this training program, students will be familiar with tools to develop effective coating projects and play a more active role in managing painting projects to successful completion.
- Roles and Responsibilities of Contracting Parties
- Specifications for Coatings Projects
- Preparing, Awarding, and Managing Coating Contracts
- Quality Management
- New Construction and Maintenance Painting
- Economic Considerations for Industrial Coating Projects
- Coating Failures - Causes, Identification, and Analysis
- Safety and Environmental Concerns for Owners and Coating Contractors
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the key issues in managing a coatings project, including contracts, specifications, coating selection, and the roles of project participants
- Analyze and prepare a coating specification through the use of corporate engineering standards
- Recognize the cost of corrosion and select materials to mitigate it
- Estimate accurately in project cost analysis
- Define scheduling requirements, exposure environments, and coating systems for new construction
- Conduct facility condition surveys and analyses for maintenance painting
- Apply documentation methods during project administration
- Recognize coating failures
- Identify and comply with relevant environmental regulations
Each participant will receive a comprehensive manual that includes a glossary of terms, references for additional reading, and copies of relevant handouts, standards, and regulations as well as an overview of the coating fundamentals covered in SSPC’s C1 course. Students can refer to this overview as needed during the C2 course for a refresher. Topics covered in this course assume a knowledge of the fundamentals.
The written exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. To receive a certificate and CEUs, you must attend all 40 hours of the course and attain a 70% or better score on the exam.
Who Should Attend
Contractors, engineers, inspectors, consultants, facility owners, technical service and sales reps.
DoD Funded Training
Under the DoD Corrosion Prevention and Control Program, funding has been provided to train DoD, Army, Navy and Airforce personnel in SSPC’s C2 Course. For more information on how to take advantage of attending this course for free, contact Jennifer Merck at 877. 281.7772, ext 2221 or email@example.com.
SSPC C2 Online
The C2 eCourse starts on the 15th of each month throughout the year. Each semester is 20 weeks (5 months). Students can work at their own pace over the 20-week period to complete the units, workshops, and quizzes. The final exam is also completed online.
Attendees of this course are assumed to have completed Fundamentals of Protective Coatings (C1) or an equivalent body of knowledge. C2 is not an introductory course and does not review the material contained in C1. Download a self-assessment checklist to determine your grasp of these fundamental topics. If you do not have a working knowledge of most of these topics, you should consider taking C1 prior to C2. This information is to serve as a self-assessment to evaluate your preparedness for taking C2 and the PCS exam.
C2 fulfills part of your training requirement for SSPC Protective Coatings Specialist (PCS) certification and prepares you for the challenging Protective Coatings Specialist Exam. All PCS candidates who do not have 15 years of experience must take and pass the C1 and C2 before sitting for the PCS Exam. There is no approved alternative training accepted.
SSPC Training Courses are available through the following SSPC licensed training providers.
Click here for Accreditation Information