Surface Preparation & Paint Application for Power Tool Cleaning Operators & Brush Roll Paint Applicators (C6)
Duration: 2 Days (16 Hours)
Includes: Written Exam & Hands-On Skill Assessment
Class Times: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Cost: Member - $595, NonMember - $795
Credits: 0.7 CEUs
Certification Term: 5 Years
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
Students wishing to achieve C6 Certification must pass a written exam and a hands-on assesment. Each student must also submit a prerequisite form showing a minimum of 150 documented hours hand & power tool cleaning and brush & roll coating application in an industrial or marine environment prior to qualifying.
Click here for additional information and/or to download the C6 prerequisite form.
This course is designed to instruct industrial/marine painters in proper hand and power tool surface preparation methods and brush and roller coating application, in accordance with Good Paint Practice. Each student must also submit a pre-requisite form showing a minimum of 150 documented hours hand & power tool cleaning and brush & roll coating application in an industrial or marine environment prior to qualifying.
- Corrosion Basics
- Corrosion Control Process
- Solvent Cleaning
- Hand-Tool Cleaning to SSPC-SP 2
- Power-Tool Cleaning to SSPC-SP 3, 11, and 15
- Assessing Surface Cleanliness According to SSPC-VIS 3
- Coating Basics for Brush and Roll Application
- Brush and Roll Application
- Use of Wet and Dry Film Thickness Gages
- Determining the Extent of Curing
- Safety During Hand and Power Tool Cleaning and Brush and Roll Application
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Explain how paint/coatings are used to control corrosion.
- Recognize the tools and methods described in the SSPC standards and Good Painting Practice (Vol 1) for hand- and power-tool cleaning.
- Demonstrate proper brush and roll application.
- Demonstrate proper use of the wet film thickness gage to measure film thickness after brush and roll application.
- Describe those tests used to determine cure.
- Recognize safety hazards commonly associated with hand and power tool cleaning and brush and roll application.
- Slide Presentation/Lecture
- Final “hands-on” exam in hand and power tool surface preparation and brush and roll application
- 25-question multiple-choice, closed-book written exam
The written multiple-choice exam is worth a maximum of 100 points. The hands-on evaluation is also worth a maximum of 100 points. Candidates wishing to achieve the C6 Certification and CEU's must attend all 16 hours of the certification and pass the written exam with a score of 70% and the hands-on exam with a score of 90%.
Who Should Attend
Personnel who want to learn the proper hand and power tool surface preparation methods and brush and roller coating application methods for coating application on steel and metal structures and their components.
DoD Funded Training
Under the DoD Corrosion Prevention and Control Program, funding has been provided to train DoD, Army, Navy, Airforce and Coast Guard personnel in SSPC’s C6 Course. For more information on how to take advantage of attending this course for free, click here.
Certification Term & Renewal
All certified candidates must re-certify in the fifth year from their initial certification date.
COMING SOON- MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE RENEWAL PROCESS
Written Exam Retake Fee: $100 member; $200 non-member
To contact SSPC or to schedule a retake exam, please click here.
Scheduling and Proposals
To receive a proposal for scheduling at your facility, including price estimate, set-up requirements and an equipment list, click here.
Click here to learn more about the agencies that recognize SSPC training and certification.