Surface Preparation and Paint Application for Power Tool Cleaning Operators and Brush and Roll Paint Applicators (C6)
Duration: 2 Days / 16 Hours, (Includes Written Exam and Hands-on Skill Assessment)
Class Times: 8:00 - 5:00
Cost: Member $820 / Non-Member $1020
Credits: 0.7 CEUs
Certification Terms: 5 Years
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
- OR -
Contact the SSPC Training Coordinator:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext. 2232
To schedule a retake exam contact:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext. 2215
Scheduling and Proposals
To receive a proposal for scheduling at your facility, including price estimate, set-up requirements and an equipment list, please contact:
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext 2221
Students wishing to achieve C6 Certification must pass a written exam and a hands-on assesment. Each student must also submit a pre-requisite form showing a minimum of 150 documented hours hand & power tool cleaning and brush & roll coating application in an industrial or marine environment prior to qualifying.
Click here for additional information and/or to download the C6 pre-requisite form.
Certification Term & Renewal
All certified candidates must re-certify in the fifth year from their initial certification date.
COMING SOON- MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE RENEWAL PROCESS
This course is designed to instruct industrial/marine painters in proper hand and power tool surface preparation methods and brush and roller coating application, in accordance with Good Paint Practice.
- Corrosion Basics
- Corrosion Control Process
- Solvent Cleaning
- Hand-Tool Cleaning to SSPC-SP 2
- Power-Tool Cleaning to SSPC-SP 3, 11, and 15
- Assessing Surface Cleanliness According to SSPC-VIS 3
- Coating Basics for Brush and Roll Application
- Brush and Roll Application
- Use of Wet and Dry Film Thickness Gages
- Determining the Extent of Curing
- Safety During Hand and Power Tool Cleaning and Brush and Roll Application
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Explain how paint/coatings are used to control corrosion.
- Recognize the tools and methods described in the SSPC standards and Good Painting Practice (Vol 1) for hand- and power-tool cleaning.
- Demonstrate proper brush and roll application.
- Demonstrate proper use of the wet film thickness gage to measure film thickness after brush and roll application.
- Describe those tests used to determine cure.
- Recognize safety hazards commonly associated with hand and power tool cleaning and brush and roll application.
- Slide Presentation/Lecture
- Final “hands-on” exam in hand and power tool surface preparation and brush and roll application
- 25-question multiple-choice, closed-book written exam
The course starts out with a classroom overview of fundamentals in preparation for the written exam, which is then followed by a thorough review and walk-through of hand and power tool surface preparation and brush and roll application equipment setup and operation. Once the written exam is completed, a tailgate safety meeting is conducted to review safe operating procedures, including troubleshooting and signals, before the hands-on session takes place. Following the equipment review, the instructors will observe each student as they describe setup procedures and demonstrate their hand and power tool and brush and roll application skills. This format provides candidates with prior hand and power tool and brush and roll application experience an opportunity to achieve C6 certification. This program is not intended for inexperienced hand and power tool and brush and roll application. Each candidate will receive a comprehensive manual that includes copies of useful handouts and industry standards. Those who successfully complete the certification program will receive a certificate and wallet identification card from SSPC.
The written multiple-choice exam is worth a maximum of 100 points. The hands-on evaluation is also worth a maximum of 100 points. Candidates wishing to achieve the C6 Certification and CEU's must attend all 16 hours of the certification and pass the written exam with a score of 70% and the hands-on exam with a score of 90%.
Who Should Attend
Personnel who want to learn the proper hand and power tool surface preparation methods and brush and roller coating application methods for coating application on steel and metal structures and their components.
Click here to learn more about the agencies that recognize SSPC training and certification.