Surface Preparation and Paint Application for Shipboard Organizational Level Corrosion Control (SHIPBOARD)
Duration: 2 Days (16 Hours)
Includes: Written Exam & Hands-On Skill Assessment
Class Times: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Cost: Member - $695, NonMember - $895
Credits: 0.7 CEUs
Certification Term: n/a
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
This course is designed to instruct industrial/marine painters in proper hand and power tool surface preparation methods and brush and roller coating application, in accordance with Good Paint Practice. Each student must also submit a pre-requisite form showing a minimum of 150 documented hours hand & power tool cleaning and brush & roll coating application in an industrial or marine environment prior to qualifying.
- Corrosion Basics
- Corrosion Control Process
- Solvent Cleaning
- Applicable NSTM Chapter 631 Requirements
- Hand-Tool Cleaning to SSPC-SP 2
- Power-Tool Cleaning to SSPC-SP 3, 11, and 15
- Assessing Surface Cleanliness According to SSPC-VIS 3
- Coating Basics for Brush and Roll Application
- Brush and Roll Application
- Use of Wet and Dry Film Thickness Gages
- Determining the Extent of Curing
- Safety During Hand and Power Tool Cleaning and Brush and Roll Application
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Explain how paint/coatings are used to control corrosion.
- Recognize that NSTM 631 contains the instructions, requirements, and information for prevention of corrosion and deterioration of ships.
- Recognize the tools and methods described in the SSPC standards for hand- and power-tool cleaning.
- Demonstrate proper brush and roll application.
- Demonstrate proper use of the wet film thickness gage to measure film thickness after brush and roll application.
- Describe those tests used to determine cure.
- Recognize the hazards commonly associated with hand and power tool cleaning and brush and roll application.
- Slide Presentation/Lecture
- 25-question multiple-choice, closed-book written exam
Each participant will receive a comprehensive manual. To receive a certificate and CEUs, you must attend all 16 hours of the course and pass the written exam with 70%.
Who Should Attend
Personnel who must learn the proper hand and power tool surface preparation methods and brush and roller coating application methods for ships.
DoD Funded Training
Under the DoD Corrosion Prevention and Control Program, funding has been provided to train DoD, Army, Navy, Airforce and Coast Guard personnel in SSPC’s SHIPBOARD Course. For more information on how to take advantage of attending this course for free, click here.
Written Exam Retake Fee: $100 member; $200 non-member
To contact SSPC or to schedule a retake exam, please click here.
Scheduling and Proposals
To receive a proposal for scheduling at your facility, including price estimate, set-up requirements and an equipment list, click here.
Click here to learn more about the agencies that recognize SSPC training and certification.