Thermal Spray Training (THERMAL)
Duration: 1 Day / 8 Hours, Includes Course Exam
Class Time: 8:00 - 5:00
Cost: Member $395, Non-member $595
Credits: 0.8 CEUs
Certification Term: N/A
Duration: 2 Days / 16 Hours, Includes Written Exam & Hands-On Skill Assesment
Class Time: 8:00 - 5:00
Cost: Not offered publically: Contact Jennifer Merck at firstname.lastname@example.org, for an onsite proposal.
Credits: 0.8 CEUs
Certification Term: 5 Years
Written Exam Retake Fee: $100 member; $200 non-member
Contact Kelly Oakes to schedule
Phone: (877) 281-7772 ext. 2215
How to Register:
Click here to find a course & register online
NOTE: This is for Thermal Spray TRAINING Only.
Did you know?
SSPC has a program that can certify Thermal Sprayers. Contact Jennifer Merck at 877-281-7772, ext. 2221 or email@example.com for more information.
A new course is being developed on inspecting thermal spray applicantion on industrial structures. The new course will include discussions on inspection standards and best practices for inspecting thermal spray applications.
Certification Term & Renewal
All certified Thermal Spray individuals must re-certify in the fifth year from their initial certification date. Click here to learn more about the re-certification process.
This course is designed to train and certify applicators in the application of thermal spray coatings to industrial substrates. Note: Students who do not want to receive the Certification can just attend the one-day lecture and classroom workshops and receive a certificate of training.
- Introduction to Thermal Spray Technology
- Thermal Spray Application Equipment
- Thermal Spray Coatings and their Uses
- Application Technique
- Industry Standards for Thermal Spray Process
- Surface Preparation
- Quality Control
- Safety and Environmental considerations
Benefits of Attending
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Define thermal spray coating (TSC) and provide an overview of its application and uses
- Discuss 3 types of arc spray equipment, their components, & safety considerations during their operation
- Summarize SSPC CS-23/AWS C2.23M/NACE No.12 Specification for Application of Thermal Spray Coatings (Metallizing) of Aluminum, Zinc and their Alloys and Composites for the Corrosion Protection of Steel
- Describe surface preparation, specifications, and inspection requirements just before applying a thermal spray coating
- Describe the procedures used to apply and inspect thermal spray coatings (TSC) to steel Course Format
Overview of Fundamentals (Classroom Session)
The classroom session consists of a 8 hour lecture and is supplemented by exercises in which students inspect blasted surfaces for degree of cleanliness of the panels; determine the profile; perform bend tests and inspect the bend; determine the DFT; and perform the cut test and assess the cut.
The written exam consists of 25 multiple-choice questions. To receive a certificate and CEUs, you must attend all 8 hours of the course and attain a 70% or better score on the written exam.
On day two of the program, candidates wishing to become certified will take a hands-on assessment. The hands-on assessment requires each candidate to spray coatings on a steel test panel constructed in accordance with ASTM D 4228 and to meet the coating manufacturer’s product data sheet (PDS) requirements. The hands-on assessment includes; performing thermal spray coating and a bend test/bond test/shape test of the specimens that the attendee has coated.
Candidates must wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) during the hands-on assessment and must be able to answer questions about troubleshooting if things go wrong with the spray pump operation.
Those who successfully complete the certification program will receive a certificate and wallet identification card from SSPC. Candidates wishing to achieve the certification must pass the written exam with a score of 70% and the hands-on assessment with a score of 90%.
Who Should Attend
- Project supervisors
- Craftworkers involved in applying thermal spray technology
SSPC Training Courses are available through the following SSPC licensed training providers.
Click here for Accreditation Information