QN 1 — NUCLEAR COATING SUPPLEMENT
GET A CONSULTATION TO LEARN HOW YOU
CAN EARN THE QN 1 SUPPLEMENT.
To be certified by SSPC to QN 1, contractors must demonstrate competence in several key areas:
- Control of purchased materials, items, and services
- Document and data control
- Handling, storage, shipping, and preservation
- Job quality monitoring
- Measuring and test equipment
- Nonconformances and Corrective Actions
- Organization and Personnel
- Quality assurance program
- Quality assurance records
- Technical capabilities
- Technical procedures
NOTE: Safety, health, and general environmental compliance requirements for fieldwork are evaluated in
QP 1 or QP 8 are not evaluated separately in this supplement. These items are not
evaluated as part of QP 3 for fabrication or paint shops and will be evaluated for facilities coating
components or structures for installation in safety-related areas.
The evaluation process:
Similar to the other QP programs, the program guidelines are first evaluated through the required submittals that describe the contractor’s procedures, practices, and programs. Then an SSPC auditor performs an impartial, initial audit of the active job site to verify the use of the submitted practices and programs.
- Submittal or written application package
- Review of the application package
- Initial auditing of the contractor or shop facility
- Exit interview
- Evaluation of application and determination of the status
- Method of appeal
- Reconfirmation of qualification
- Qualification period
- Qualifying agency files
SSPC suggests that the contractor perform a self-evaluation using the checklist to be sure all areas are addressed prior to an audit. More detailed on-site audit criteria can be found in both the QN 1 application and the Internal Audit Checklist.