MEMBERSHIP CONSIDERATIONS – PART 2
February 28, 2020
On January 24th, the SSPC-NACE discussion task group released information that summarized some of the conversations about what the membership model might look like in a combined association. With respect to membership, the following guiding principles have directed, and will continue to direct, these discussions.
- Ensure low impact and minimal disruption to the majority of current members
- Improve the ease of access to benefits
- Increase opportunities for engagement
- Grow access to knowledge and professional networks
- Maintain current dues levels, if possible
- There is consensus that membership dues would be value-based and provide tiered options with differing values and prices.
- Individual members of both NACE and SSPC would automatically enter at the highest value level for the remaining portion of their current membership term at no additional cost, and upon renewal, there would be the option of selecting the tier that best meets their needs.
- New members to the organization would have the ability to select one of four membership categories and have tiered options that meet their needs.
- Corporate membership cost would also have a value-based approach with multiple tiers.
- Similar to what both organizations now offer, the higher the corporate membership, the more benefits and exposure a corporate member will receive.
Since that update, additional information on the specifics of the value-based approach and tiered options currently proposed can be found below. Please note, “NewOrg” and “NewOrg Institute” are not actual proposed names for a combined organization, they are temporary placeholders for use in these communications.
- Members will become “NewOrg members” and will have full access to “NewOrg” and “NewOrg Institute” offerings, including equal voting and volunteer rights and privileges in both organizations. A hybrid structure will be maintained, thus including individual and corporate membership options. Both individual and corporate membership options will be value-based with members being able to choose a level of benefit and corresponding dues. Upon combination, all current NACE and SSPC individual members will become members of “NewOrg” at the highest tier level.
- There would be two tiers for individual members, Core and Premium. The Premium tiers would include more of the value-added offerings such as a select number of standards downloads, products from the Digital Library, and subscriptions to publications. Existing individual members of NACE and SSPC would be automatically added to “NewOrg” Premium Individual Membership for the remainder of their current membership term starting on January 1, 2021. At the end of their current membership term, individual members would be able to choose to renew at either the Premium or Core level of membership.
- There will be four membership categories for qualifying individuals:
- Individual membership with a choice between a Premium or Core tier.
- Students members will have access to a free Premium membership while in college, university, or trade school.
- Young Professionals, new members that join under the age of 35 years old, will have access to Premium membership at a 50% discount for their first three years. Student and Young Professional membership options are intended to provide maximum exposure to the benefits of membership.
- Lifetime membership for members 65 years of age or older with at least 15 years of continuous membership in NACE, SSPC, and/or “NewOrg.” Lifetime members will have the option of being Lifetime Core or Lifetime Premium members in exchange for a lump-sum fee structure.
- There will be a three-tiered, value-based corporate membership structure; thus, the higher the corporate membership, the more benefits and exposure the company will receive. Benefits include, but are not limited to, free individual memberships, conference registrations, and prominent marketing exposure at conferences, training workshops, and online.
Following is a timeline of upcoming discussion-related milestones.
- March 14 – NACE Board of Directors Meeting
- March 16 – NACE Town Hall at CORROSION 2020 – 9:00 – 10:30 a.m. CST
- March 17 – NACE Town Hall at CORROSION 2020 – 3:15 – 4:45 p.m. CST
- March 18 – NACE Town Hall at CORROSION 2020 – 2:30 – 4:00 p.m. CST
- March 19 – NACE Town Hall at CORROSION 2020 – 9:00 – 10:30 a.m. CST
- April 3 – 17 – Proposed SSPC and NACE member votes
Please check your inbox next Friday, March 6 for Update #9 – Review of Member FAQs