CERTIFICATION AND ACCREDITATION
January 17, 2020
Certification and Accreditation
Certification and accreditation are an important part of what SSPC and NACE provide to our members and the industry. Programs offered by both organizations perform a crucial service by providing an impartial method of evaluating the capabilities of individuals and companies involved in the coatings industry.
Both SSPC and NACE have robust, longstanding and internationally recognized certification and accreditation programs. We recognize the value that professionals and employers place on the credentials, and the pride displayed by the people and companies who earn them. The SSPC-NACE Task Group is focused on minimizing the disruption to the industry while maintaining overall program quality and continuity. To that end, the task group has agreed to the following:
- All current certification and accreditation programs will continue to be recognized and supported throughout the combination process.
- Where there are certification or accreditation programs that overlap, a member task force will be created to evaluate the programs and make recommendations to a program committee.
- Existing certification holders will be allowed to recertify into the continuing program.
- Financial burden or economic impact to certified and accredited parties should be minimized
The following programs have been identified as having overlap and will be reviewed by a member task force:
- Coatings Inspector Certification Program
- Protective Coatings Inspector (PCI) (SSPC)
- Coating Inspector Program (CIP) (NACE Institute)
- Coating Applicator Certification Program
- Coating Application Specialist (CAS) (SSPC)
- Certified Coating Applicator (CCA) (NACE Institute)
- Contractor Accreditation Program
- Qualification Procedure (QP/PCCP) (SSPC)
- Contractor Accreditation Program (NIICAP) (NACE Institute)
- Protective Coatings Specialist Certification
- Protective Coatings Specialist (SSPC)
- Protective Coatings Specialist (NACE)
Additional questions both organizations have received include:
What will happen to my certification(s)?
The organizations are discussing the possibility of combining any overlapping certification programs, i.e. Protective Coatings Inspector (SSPC) and Coating Inspector Program (NACE Institute). Certified individuals will retain their certifications during the transition period, as long as the current renewal requirements are met; after the transition period, individuals will be allowed to recertify into the continuing certification. Both organizations agree there should be little to no cost impact to cardholders as a result of any program changes.
What will happen to SSPC programs like CAS, PCI and QP or NACE Institute programs like CCA, CIP and NIICAP? Will they eventually be combined with the overlapping products from the other organization?
Each organization’s position as an innovator and market-driver is what sets us apart from competitors, and it’s one of the things that has attracted attention and spurred these discussions. As part of our due diligence, we will examine the products of both organizations and where there is overlap, bring together the best of both overlapping certifications. It’s too early to know what the result will be, but we’ll work to make it as easy as possible for certification holders and accredited companies to transition to whatever new format we develop. We’re in this to do what’s best for the member and customer, so we’re aiming for a result that is better for them.
We will continue to pass along information to the membership of both SSPC and NACE, and we encourage you to read and share these messages with your colleagues. If you have feedback or questions, please use the feedback form on the SSPC website to share your comments, and make plans to participate in the upcoming Town Hall meetings at Coatings+2020 in Long Beach and CORROSION 2020 in Houston.
Following is a timeline of upcoming discussion-related milestones.
- January – Task Force Meetings
- February 1-2 – SSPC Board of Governors Meeting
- February 3, 4, 5 – SSPC hosts Town Hall meetings at Coatings+2020 in Long Beach
- February 24 – NACE Board of Directors holds update meeting
- March 14 – NACE Board of Directors Meeting
- March 16, 17, 18 – NACE hosts Town Hall meetings at CORROSION 2020 in Houston
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check your inbox next Friday, January 24 for Update #3 – Membership Considerations Q&A.